Thursday, April 12, 2012

Review: Insurgent

Insurgent
By Veronica Roth
Drops off the train: May 1, 2012
Review copy from a friend

The second Divergent ended for me, I started the countdown to the next book. This story is  a hard sell, whenever I explain the premise to someone their eyes kind of glaze over. Those that I have convinced to try it, have come back and given me a hug. It is the first book I give to anyone who asks me what  to read now that they are done with the Hunger Games series.

I wrote and begged for an arc a couple of months ago. I didn't get one and figured I would have to wait, but a friend of mine who knows how much I love this series loaned me her copy. Thanks, Kathleen!

So, I will not get into the story too much. And I will stay away from spoilers. Just know this: I wish I had reread Divergent right before I read this. Also, this is one of the best second novels I have EVER read.

Roth's storytelling is magic. There is zero recap in this story, so as it has been a year since I read Divergent I was a little lost. Three chapters in, I felt like I was right back in the thick of things. The action never stops in this installment, but along the way we really get to experience the other factions, fall in love with Tobias (cause, we already LOVE Four) and we watch Tris grow even more kick ass. She makes some gut wrenching decisions in this story that made me want to smack her, but otherwise she has to be one of the bravest characters I have read about in a long time. This one is worth buying and I plan to buy both of them and reread them before I start the third one. This is a world I do no mind exploring over and over again. Insurgent will make you throw your Dauntless fist in the air and scream "Yeah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment